Visions and Values
A SECURE AND HAPPY CHILD TODAY PROMOTES A FULFILLED, INDEPENDENT ADULT OF TOMORROW
At Birchwood Nursery School we work together to create a supportive, inclusive, and nurturing environment where everyone feels safe, welcome, and valued. We aim to ensure that our children are happy, confident, and independent learners, through our challenging, child-centred curriculum; our high-quality environment; and the excellent teaching we provide. All children will be supported to develop and flourish during their time with us.
In Three Years:
- We will have an exciting outdoor learning environment which promotes curiosity, exploration, resilience, mental wellbeing, and a knowledge of the natural world. Children will have an awareness of the impact we have on our environment. They will be able to ask questions and take risks in a supportive, safe environment.
- Our curriculum and learning environment will reflect and celebrate the different cultures and backgrounds of our diverse community. We will promote understanding of difference, enhancing children’s experience through our resources, teaching and interactions with parents, carers, and the wider community.
- Children will have rich experiences of the world around them through our diverse, child-centred curriculum; bringing visitors and special experiences to the setting and providing opportunities to go out into the local area and beyond.
- Our children will leave Birchwood with the learning, social and self-help skills needed to start the next phase of their education. They will be confident and independent learners with a strong sense of self-worth. They will be able to socialise with their peers, show kindness to others and have a developing understanding of their own feelings and emotions.
- As a Communication Friendly Accredited School, we will build on our strengths to ensure our children develop core communication skills and vocabulary through a range of mediums including Makaton signing, talking, singing, and mark making. They will have a love of stories, rhymes, songs, and books to support their continued progress beyond Birchwood.
- We value and appreciate our staff and support their wellbeing. Staff will be able to support high quality training and appraisal. They will be able to contribute their views and be listened to by leaders.
Every Child Matters
Children are at the heart of everything we do
We provide a caring and nurturing environment in which everyone feels safe and secure
We promote tolerance and empathy, embrace diversity and value everyone's talents, skills and contributions
We support all children, parents and staff to become active participants in their learning, to enable them to become highly motivated lifelong learners
We are reflective and evaluative with a shared commitment to constantly improve what we do.
We think creatively and provide an exciting learning environment where expertise is shared, new ideas are welcomed and innovative practice is celebrated.